RCTC plans and implements transportation and transit improvements, assists local governments with money for local streets and roads, helps smooth the way for commuters and goods movement, and ensures that everyone in Riverside County has access to transportation.


Applicants requesting permission to enter, construct and/or maintain improvements on RCTC property must execute a written agreement prior to commencement of the project or use. RCTC grants License Agreements and Rights of Entry (ROE) only. A License Agreement is required for longer term uses of RCTC property (construction of facilities, structures, crossings and other long term uses). A ROE is required for all temporary uses of or temporary access to RCTC property (surveys, potholing and other short term uses). A separate request must be submitted for each entry. Before a License or ROE can be issued, the applicant must submit a complete application for review and approval. You may download a pdf of the entire Application Process by clicking here to see the ROE application form PDF.


  1. General Application Form
  2. Required Supplemental Applications:
  • Pipeline Facilities – Water, sewage, oil, natural gas, petroleum, storm drains, etc.
  • Wire Line Facilities – Phone, fiber optic, CATV, electric
  • Grade Crossing/Access – Vehicular, pedestrian, bicycle, bridge, and livestock crossing/access
  • Private Use – Spur tracks, fences, patios, landscaping, slope work, storage, etc.
  • Right of Entry – Geotechnical survey/inspection, seismograph survey, movie production, potholing, temporary construction access and other temporary use projects
  • Note: In July 1997, the Commission adopted the policy of not allowing new billboards on RCTC property. Existing billboards have been allowed to remain at current fair market value prices.
  • For uses other than those described above, please contact the Property Agent at 951.787.7141
  1. Building plans in electronic (pdf) format
  2. Application fees: $6,000 for license or $1,000 for ROE
  3. Certificate of Insurance


Periodically, property owned by the Riverside County Transportation Commission is identified to be surplus, with no future use for transportation purposes. After Noticing of Public Agencies, the property then may be offered for sale to the general public. RCTC owned properties may also be leased out to private parties if the need is not immediate. Properties available offered for sale or lease will be listed under the Available Properties section below.

RCTC also acquires property for the construction of transportation projects. In these rare circumstances, RCTC contacts property owners that may be affected during the planning phases of any new project to make sure they are fully informed at each stage of the process. If the final approved project requires RCTC to acquire land from individual property owners, they are compensated at full market value for their property.



There are opportunities for joint development at rail station property owned by the Riverside County Transportation Commission. For this purpose, joint development is defined as a real property asset development and management program intended to secure the most appropriate private and/or public sector development on RCTC-owned property at and adjacent to Metrolink commuter rail stations and corridors. To facilitate this RCTC has developed a set of Rail Station Joint Development Guidelines.

RCTC’s review generally may take up 12 weeks from the receipt of a complete application package. If the project or plans require revision, additional review time will be required after the plans are resubmitted. Plan requirements are provided in more detail in the Application Package section. If railroad right of way within 25” of centerline is impacted, an encroachment permit from SCRRA is required. SCRRA’s contact information and requirements can be found hereMetrolink Engineering and Construction.

When the application has been approved, a License or ROE agreement will be drafted by RCTC, reviewed by RCTC’s legal counsel and 4 copies will be sent to applicant for signature. Once the signed copies are received from the applicant, RCTC will sign the documents and send the applicant a fully executed agreement.

An annual fee for Licenses will be determined by RCTC based on the type, location, and area impacted by the project or use.

After the agreement has been fully executed, applicant will need to provide 5 days notice to the RCTC Property Agent prior to beginning construction. If operating railroad right of way is impacted, the SCRRA ROW Encroachments Coordinator must also be given 5 days notice.  Further inquiries may be directed to the Property Agent at 951.787.7141.